COAT was established to encourage communication between the leadership and members of Tribunals throughout Australasia; to promote and encourage the development of best practice models for tribunals; and, to provide a forum for education, research and reform in the field of administrative justice.
In 2019, among other things, COAT will:
- Host the 22nd Annual COAT Conference Communicating Justice: Tribunals in the Community, in Melbourne on 6 and 7 June 2019.
- Offer a 2-Day Masterclass on Decision Writing designed for experienced Tribunal members, in Australia and New Zealand.
- Provide on-line Induction courses for new Tribunal members, led by current and former experienced members of the judiciary and tribunals.
- Continue to represent COAT on the Judicial Council on Cultural Diversity and other organisations.
- Revise the COAT Practice Manual now in its 4th edition.
- Improve its website to facilitate better communication between member Tribunals and improve access to resources and information.
COAT’s ability to represent and support tribunals in Australia and New Zealand is reliant on the continued financial support of members.