COAT was established to encourage communication between the leaders and members of Tribunals throughout Australasia; to promote and encourage the development of best practice models for tribunals; and, to provide a forum for education, research and reform in the field of administrative justice.
In 2021, among other things, COAT will:
- Host the 23rd Annual COAT Conference “Responsive, resilient, reskilled – tribunals in times of change”, on 10 and 11 June 2021
- Offer a Masterclass on Decision Writing designed for experienced Tribunal members, in Australia and New Zealand.
- Provide on-line Induction courses for new Tribunal members, led by current and former experienced members of the judiciary and tribunals.
- Continue to represent COAT on the Judicial Council on Cultural Diversity and other organisations.
- Update the Tribunal Excellence Framework.
- Further develop its website to facilitate better communication between member Tribunals and to improve access to training resources.
- Develop and deliver a two-day Train the Trainer workshop to be held in Sydney, and subject to COVID-19 restrictions. Based on adult education principles, the workshop is designed to equip participants with skills to develop and deliver effective training programs in their Tribunal.
COAT’s ability to represent and support tribunals in Australia and New Zealand is reliant on the continued financial support of members.