Date(s) - Monday, 6 March 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The COAT online introduction to decision writing program is primarily designed for Tribunal members with less than two years’ experience. However, the program is also suitable for members with slightly more experience who may wish to undertake a refresher decision writing program.
This short intensive online program will be delivered over a two-week period and will involve a commitment of about six to eight hours. The program is self-paced /directed so members can access the site at a time convenient to them. The program can be accessed via smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer, the program is both Mac and PC friendly. There is a maximum of twenty participants per program.
The program will cover:
- developing a structure for reasons for decisions
- identifying issues that must be addressed to meet the obligation imposed by s 43 of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975 (Cth)
- articulating reasons for findings of fact and the exercise of discretionary power
- tips and strategies for writing cogent, persuasive and timely reasons for decision.
- will have access to an extensive online library that includes essential and recommended reading on the topic of decision writing and fact finding
- can view informative videos providing helpful tips, for example A/Judge Boland being interviewed by Ms Britton, Deputy President, NCAT and Chair, COAT on giving adequate reasons
- will be able to complete several activities such as identifying the factual issues in case studies and interact with other participants about their responses associated with exercises
- can submit an extract of a decision to receive extensive personal and confidential feedback (via phone and or email) from an experienced judicial officer.
Cost: $ 495 plus 10% GST to be paid prior to the commencement of the program.
Please click here to download the flyer.
To register: contact Kathryn McKenzie, COAT Secretariat, firstname.lastname@example.org 0418 281 116
Please be advised that photographs and/or audio and video recording may occur at events organised by COAT for use on our website, marketing materials and publications. By entering a COAT event, you consent to COAT photographing or recording and using your image and likeness. This may also be applicable at events not organised by COAT, but still advertised on this site.